Some people can make a box of baking soda last a very long time, especially if they’re not accustomed to baking cakes or using it to deodorize their fridge.
Then again, if you believe in keeping harsh chemicals out of your sink and tub drains, then now’s the time to start stocking up on baking soda and, for good measure, white distilled vinegar.
This combination of ingredients, plus a healthy dose of boiling hot water, makes for a super potent way not just to clear a drain, but prevent future clogs.
Here’s how it works:
- Pour half a cup of baking soda down the drain
- Add a half cup of vinegar
- Cover the drain with a lid and let that mixture settle, foam, and eat away at accumulated debris for about 30 minutes.
- Finally, pour a pot of boiling water down the drain to flush away any leftover residue.
Another way to prevent blocked sink drains is to be careful what you put in there. Here’s a list of substances very likely to cause problems:
- Grease and cooking oils
- Any sticky materials, like bandages
- Expandable foods like pasta and rice
- Baking flour
- Produce stickers
- Paint & cleaning products
Here are some other ways to make the most of the combined potency of backing soda and vinegar:
- Pour baking soda over the flames of a grease fire until it is extinguished.
- Clean and freshen the dishwasher or coffeepot by running a cycle using only baking soda. Running vinegar through both machines monthly is another way to keep them clean and free of residue.
- Use baking soda to wash produce in place of a commercial produce wash. Two tablespoons of distilled vinegar mixed with one pint of water will also effectively clean and remove pesticides from fruits and veggies.
- Create a thick and non-toxic scrub to clean bathroom surfaces by stirring together a quarter-cup of baking soda, one tablespoon of liquid Castile soap or dish detergent, and vinegar. Mix until creamy, then use.
Tougher Drain Cleaning Problems
Even with an abundance of care and caution, sooner or later you’re bound to experience a clogged drain problem that baking soda and vinegar can’t fix. That’s when it’s time to call Connor Plumbing for fast, effective, and lasting results. That’s just part of what we’re known for.