So why a carpet cleaning blog from a plumbing company?
That’s an easy one. Just because our primary business is plumbing, hot water service, plus sewer and drain clearing doesn’t mean we don’t care about our customers as people or their many other everyday concerns. Folks, we live and work in this community too, and we share the same need to know and helpful advice that you do and, when we have the opportunity, we’re happy to share what we’ve learned.
Next question: why write a blog about carpet care in December of all times? Aha, because when you think about all the extra wear and tear they get with guests galore, Christmas tree needles left and right, candle wax that mysteriously makes its way to carpets and rugs, what better time of year to provide helpful advice on carpet care?!
And now that we’ve settled all of that, let’s get right down to how you can take better care of your carpets and keep them looking their best for a whole lot longer:
- Pick the right vacuum, or two. No one vacuum is perfect, so it’s important to do your research before picking one that best fits your household needs. For example, do you have kids, pets, or both? Lots of carpeted stairs or one-level living? Wall-to-wall or area rugs? You might want to invest in a handheld for stairs and an upright for larger areas.
- Vacuum at least once a week, more often in high traffic areas. Dirt that is not picked up and is repeatedly ground in by foot traffic can actually erode the backing of the carpet over time. But vacuuming once a week can remove up to 75% of dirt and keep your carpet looking newer longer.
- Pay extra attention to high traffic areas like hallways and carpeted stairs. Consider layering a runner or areas rug in places that receive a lot of foot traffic. They are much easier to replace once they become heavily soiled.
- Trim snags at the base with scissors. Never pull a snag as it can tear the carpet away from the backing and make the problem worse.
- Soak up spills right away. Dab your cleaning solution onto the spill then blot with a paper towel or clean cloth. Don’t rub the spill or stain as that will only help it spread and set in. Remember: work from the outside of the stain in.
- Keep club soda on hand for a quick and natural weapon against stains. From coffee and tea to red wine and pet accidents, a generous pour of club soda and a few dabs with a clean cloth or paper towel can make the stain but a distant memory.
- Steam clean every 6 months. No matter how well you care for your carpets, they still need a good deep cleaning from time to time. Depending on your needs, you can rent a carpet cleaning machine from most home improvement stores, invest in one for yourself, or hire a professional service.
And now you know, courtesy of your friends and neighbors at Connor Plumbing.