Come spring, slow moving cars circle neighborhoods as drivers and passengers alike hunt for kitchen bar stools, children’s toys, and retro lamps. And whether you call it a yard sale, tag sale, or garage sale, one thing holds true – this springtime weekend ritual is a deep-rooted part of the American way of life.
So if you’re planning to join in the fun and rid your home of excess clutter and your great aunt Edna’s figurines, use these yard sale tips to help you stay organized and on task.
- Once you decide to hold a yard sale, think about your inventory. While a yard sale is a great opportunity to purge your home of items you no longer need or want, you want to make sure your items are desirable to others.
- Advertise in local newspapers and on social media. Chances are, you won’t be the only game in town so you definitely want to let people know about your sale.
- Tag team it. Talk to your neighbors and see if you can coordinate a neighborhood yard sale. You could even split the cost of advertising by simply directing shoppers to your street or block instead of your specific address.
- Price wisely. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And yard sale shoppers are not looking to spend $500 on a dining room set. Save higher priced items for Craigslist.
- Place larger items in front. You only have a couple of seconds to make a first impression on passersby, so lure them with the more desirable inventory.
- Set up a “free” pile for those items that you simply want gone or that might need a little repairing.
- Keep like items together. Think about the set up in department stores. You don’t see dishes mixed in with the plumbing supplies, because that just doesn’t make for brisk walks to the register.
- Sit back, relax, and enjoy!
While you’re still planning, don’t forget the part about what you’re going to do with the extra money. One suggestion? Why not spruce up your kitchen or bathroom with new plumbing fixtures. At Connor Plumbing, we supply and install them all. Contact us now or any time for all the details.