Still, before you dust off that patio furniture and dig out grill utensils, there are a few prior tasks you should undertake to make sure your home is ready to transition from winter to spring. Use this handy checklist to help you prepare for warmer weather ahead.
- Perform a visual inspection of the exterior of your home. Look for cracked or loose siding, damage roof shingles, and loose rain gutters. All could lead to significant water damage once spring rains begin.
- Inspect the patio, deck, fence, or any additional outdoor structure for signs of wood rot or other damage. Repair or replace loose pavers, wood slats, or railings.
- Clear away debris from basement window wells to prevent animals and insects from becoming too comfortable. Make sure rain water is not collecting near the windows and install window well covers if needed.
- Check your home’s foundation for cracks and discoloration that could indicate a leak. While small fissures are considered normal, large gaping cracks could suggest structural damage and potential foundation failure.
- Inspect the walls and ceiling of each room for signs of mold or water damage that could result from a slowly leaking plumbing pipe or winter-time damage to the roof.
- Head up to the attic, keep the lights and flashlight off, and look for spots of light shining in from the outside. Check for signs of moisture, mold, or mildew and treat each one immediately to prevent further damage.
- If you have a basement, check for standing water, water stains, or mold patches. Remember that not all damage is visible, especially in a finished space. So if your basement smells musty or has a high level of humidity, contact a professional right away.
- Test all indoor plumbing fixtures for leaks or low water pressure. Visually inspect all exposed pipes for signs of corrosion or cracks and have them repaired before it becomes a much bigger, more expensive fix.
If your visual inspection results in the need for professional plumbing assistance, then you can count on Connor Plumbing for spot-on problem diagnosis, guaranteed upfront pricing, and your satisfaction guaranteed for any and all needed repair work.